- MACKENZIE, Sir George Steuart.
- Travels in the Island of Iceland during the summer of the year 1810.
- Edinburgh: Archibald Constable & Co., 1811.
- FIRST EDITION. Quarto (8.5" x 11") in modern 1/4 calf over attractive marbled boards; raised bands in blind to spine; red morocco title label to spine; MS signature of Phoebe Bright" to front free endpaper. xvii 491  pages. Illustrated with a facsimile letter text engravings two maps (one folding) and fifteen plates including a folding view of Reikiavik and eight hand-coloured plates mostly views. Mackenzie a distinguished mineralogist traveled with Drs. Henry Holland and Richard Bright. Chapters include a narrative of the voyage and travels as well as those on mineralogy rural economy and commerce zoology and botany climate literature diseases government and laws and religion. Light foxing to some plates mostly marginal. Near Fine.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Icelandic Costume (5 figs).
3. Krisuvik & the Sulphur Mountains.
4. Cauldron Sulphur Mountains.
5. Great Jet of Boiling Mud on the Sulphur Mountains.
6. Eyafialla Iokul from Hliderende.
7. Mount Hekla from Odde.
8. Eyafialla Iokul, Mount Hekla & River Elvas, from the Westward.
9. Map of the South West Coast of Iceland (large folding map).
- Tooley 313; Abbey Travel I 160; Bobins II 408.
- Hand coloured plates
- 8 + map
- Map, Polar regions, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID