- RASPE, Rudolph Erich.
- Author 2
- George Cruikshank (illus)
- The travels and surprising adventures of Baron Munchausen / illustrated with thirty-seven curious engravings, from the Baron's own designs, and five woodcuts, by G. Cruikshank
- London: Frederick Warne, (nd, ca 1875).
- Illustrated by George Cruikshank with 37 curious engravings and 5 woodcuts each hand-coloured. 264pp. Thick 12mo beautifully rebound by Bayntun in full blue morocco with gilt borders to boards and the six spine compartments; inner and outer dentelles, marbled endpapers, top edge gilt. Original blue pictorial wrappers bound-in at rear. Wear to top and tail of spine - else good. Hieronymus Carl Frederich von Munchausen (1720-97) was a German nobleman and was a great teller of tall tales! He joined the Russian military and took part in two campaigns against the Ottoman Turks. Upon his return home he began to tell a number of farfetched tales of his military adventures. Muchausen's reputation for telling outrageous tales has been much exaggerated by later writers, so much so that a fully fictionised literary character was formed...usually named 'Baron Munchausen'. (Munchausen syndrome is named after him.)
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. Baron Munchausen.
2. The defeat of the Lion and Crocodile.
3. Release of the Baron's Charger.
4. The Stag and the Cherry Tree.
5. The Baron's horse going to tea with the ladies.
6. His behaviour at Table.
7. The Baron's horse drinks in the Market Place.
8. The Baron recovers his Hatchet.
9. The Baron helps his carriage over the hedge
10. The Baron helps his horses over the hedge.
11. The Ship and the Whale.
12. The Baron escapes from the fish.
13. The Baron in the Almond Tree.
14. The Baron and the Brass Cannon.
15. The pope and the fisherman.
16. An Inhabitant of the DOG STAR.
17. An Inhabitant of the MOON.
18. Flight from Margate to South America.
19. The Baron's admonition to his Friends.
20. The Baron on his Voyage to Africa.
21. The Baon wrecked upon an Island of Ice.
22. The Boats towing the Island of Ice on which the Baron was wrecked.
23. Count Gosamer landed by Sphinx upon the Peak of Teneriffe.
24. The Baron defeats an host of Lions.
25. An African feast upon live Bulls and Kava.
26. Interview between the Baron &the; Emperor of the Interior part of Africa.
27. The Bridge from Africa to Great Britain.
28. The Baron in danger of being roasted.
29. The Baron summons the Castle of the Nareskin Rowskimowmowsky.
30. Combat between the Baron and the Nareskin
31. The Baron besieges Seringpatam.
32. Combat between Baron Munchausen and Tippoo Saib.
33. Another view of the combat between Baron Munchausen & Tippoo Saib.
34. The Baron's preparations for raising the Hull of the Royal George at Spithead.
35. The Baron raises the Hull of the Royal George.
36. The Baron knighting the Fish-Woman.
37. The Baron takes his leave of the Royal Family.
- Hand coloured plates
- Africa, Caricatures, Cruikshank, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID