- MONSTRELET, Enguerrand de.
- The Chronicles of Enguerrand de Monstrelet; Containing an Account of the Cruel Civil Wars between the Houses of Orleans and Burgundy; of the Possession of Paris and Normandy by the English; Their Expulsion Thence; and of Other Memorable Events...
- London: Henry G. Bohn, 1849.
- Two volumes. Tall, thick octavo, mid 20th-century three-quarter brown crushed morocco gilt, raised bands, marbled endpapers, top edges gilt, uncut and unopened. Title in gilt to spine in compartment two. Later English language edition of this historical account of France during the first half of the 15th century, with additional chromolithographic title page, 102 in-text wood-engravings, and interleaved with a complete set of 51 intricately hand-colored plates of costumes, portraits and events from the 1810 edition, heightened with gold. Handsomely bound by Rivière & Son. First published in French around 1470, Monstrelet’s continuation of Froissart’s Chronique covers the period between 1400 and 1444—especially valuable for the large number of authentic documents relating to the latter part of the Hundred Years’ War. Appended to Monstrelet’s work is a sequel, extending to 1516, prepared from a variety of other chronicles. The illustrations in this edition are notable for their “pictorial excellence, and the accurate delineation of architecture and costume… and many of the landscapes and views of places having been made expressly for this work are invested with an additional interest, as possessing a guarantee of fidelity, in which mere copies of the works of others are necessarily deficient.” In addition to the 102 wood-engravings throughout, this copy is extra-illustrated with the entire suite of beautiful hand-colored plates from the earlier 1810 English edition. Included are Bon-Joseph Dacier’s “Life of Monstrelet; with an Essay on his Chronicles” and “Observations on the Chronicle of Enguerrand de Monstrelet” by de Foncemagne. Text and plates remarkably clean and bright, with only patches of foxing to first and last few leaves. A splendid copy, most handsomely bound.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page.
2. The Consecration of Charles 6th - 4th Nov 1380.
3. Charles the 2nd King of Navarre / Charles the 3rd King of Navarre.
4. Louis, Duke of Orleans (brother to Charles VI) and Valentina of Milan, his wife.
5. John Juvenal des Ursins, Baron of Trainel / John of Artois, Count of Eu.
6. Louis 2nd of Anjou, King of Naples & Sicily / Richard 2nd King of England.
7. Queen Isabella of Bavaria.
8. Judicial combat between a dog and the man who had murdered his master.
9. John, Duke of Berry / Louis 1st Duke of Anjou, King of Naples ( Uncles of Charles VI).
10. Louis 2nd Duke of Bourbon on Horseback.
11. Charles of Artois / Charles 1st, Duke de Bourbon.
12. Leo of Lusignan, King of Armenia / John IV, Duke of Bretagne.
13. Proclamation of the Peace of Arras at Rheims, Oct 2nd 1435.
14. Charles, Lord of Albret, Constable of France, or Charles II / Gaston, Earl of Foix amd Bearn.
15. Charles the Warlike, Duke of Burgundy, and Isabella de Bourbon his 2nd wife.
16. Parliament of Charles, Duke of Burgundy.
17. A Chapter of the Order of the Cresecent, founded by Rene of Anjou, King of Sicily and Naples.
18. John of Orleans, Count d'Angoulesme, brother of Charles, Duke of Orleans / Arthur de Bretagne, Count of Richemont, and Constable of France.
19. Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (Uncle of Charles VI) / and Margaret of Flanders his wife.
20. Charles 6th & Queen Isabella.
21. The Dauphin is informed of the Death of his father King Charles the Well Beloved.
22. (Untitled Plate).
23. Charles 7th amd Mary of Anjou his Queen.
24. Louis II, Duke of Boirbon, in his Robes, as Great Chamberlain of France / John II, King of Cyprus & Charlotte de Bourbon, his wife.
25. The Presentation of Joan of Arc to King Charles VII.
26. Stephen de Vignoles, commonly called La Hire, and Poton de Saintrailles...
27. John, Dule of Bourbon / Mary de Berri.
28. Philip The Good, Duke of Burgundy / Isabella of Portugal, third wife to Philip The Good.
29. Attack of the Bastille of Dieppe.
30. Entry of Charles the 7th onto Paris, 12th Nov 1437.
31. The Six Ecclesiastical Peers of France, from the windows of St Saviours, at Bruges.
32. Departure of Catherine, 2nd daughter of Charles 7th to marry Charles, Count of Charlois in 1439.
33. Entry of Louis XI, when Dauphin into the City of Toulouse.
34. Charles, Duke of Orleans / Charles, Duke of Berry, 2nd son of Charles VII.
35. The Six Lay Peers of France, from the windows of St Savoiurs Church in Bruges.
36. Isabella of Portugal, Dutchess of Burgundy, taking leave of Charles the 7th on Easter Eve 1441 to return to Flanders.
37. Arrival of the Dauphiness, Margaret of Scotland, at Tours, 24th of June 1400.
38. A Dominican presenting his book to Charles the 7th.
39. John, Bastard of Orleans, Count of Dunois / Andrew of Laval, Lord of Loheac, Marshall of France.
40. Entry of Philip The Good, Duke of Burgundy into Ghent.
41. Louis XI, King of France / Charlotte of Savoy, 2nd wife of Louis XI.
42. A Chaplain to Mary of Anjou, Queen of France.
43. Giles Bonnet, Berry King at Arms,resenting his book of Heraldry to King Charles the VIII.
44. The same Chaplain preaching before the King.
45. The Chaplain preaching before the Queen.
46. A Chapter of the Order of St Michael.
47. Peter 2nd Duke of Bretagne / Louis Dauphin, afterwards Louis XI, King of France.
48. John 2nd de Bourbon, Count of Vendosme &c / Philip The Good, Duke of Burgundy.
49. The Battle of Spurs (folding plate).
50. Copied from an engraving in the 'Voyage Pittoresque de la Suisse' of a Basso Relievo.
51. Entry of Eleanor of Austria, Queen to Francis the First, into Toulouse.
- Hand coloured plates
- France, History - Europe
- Stock ID