- HERING, George Edwards.
- Sketches on the Danube, Hungary and Transylvania by George Hering
- London: Thomas McLean, c. 1838.
- Contemporary - Crimson Russia calf with gilt green cloth boards, flat spine with gilt title, yellow endpapers. Illustrated complete with 26 hand-coloured lithographic plates depicting the scenery, architecture, and peoples living along the Danube River and into Serbia and Romania. The plates run from the Castle of Presburg (present Bratislava in Slovakia), Prince Esterhazy's Castle of Forchenstein, the gate of Kremnitz; the Valley of the Five Lakes in the Tatra (the most northern part of the Carpathians); Peasants of Hadad-Transylvania; Belgrade; Orsova on the borders of Turkey; the Roman Temple - Demsus. Also the un-tinted lithographic dedication plate to the Hungarian count, Szenchenyi os present. Folio. A fine copy of this attractive colour plate book, plates are clean and crisp with bright and vivid colours in pristine period binding. P. 2 ff., lith. title, dedication plate, descriptive text (1 ff.), 25 plates, 1 ff. Notes: George Hering travelled to Hungary (including present-day Serbia and Romania) and sketched his tour through the plains and mountains in 1835. The book served to attract the interest of the British public to the region, little-known at the time to Western Europe.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Lithographed title. (Theben)
2. The Danube from the Castle of Presburg.
3. Market Place of Oedenburg.
4. Pronce Esterhay's Castle of Forchenstein.
5. The Danube fom the ruins of Wissegrad, between Presburg and Pest.
7. Schemnitz from the Castle.
8. Dyetwar Peasant / Wallachian Peasant (Hungarian Peasants).
9. The Gate of Kremnitz.
10. Betsko Castle - Valley of the Waag.
11. Slavack Peasants near Neushol.
12. Trentschin Castle - Valley of the Waag.
13. The Valley of the Five Lakes in the Tatra (the most northen part of the Carpathians).
14. The Castle of Arva, on the borders of Galicia.
15. Peasant Girl of Sieber / Wallachian Peasant of Orsova.
16. The Cavern at Aggtelek.
17. Tokey on the Theis.
18. The Puszta or Plains of Hungary.
19. Peasants of Hadad - Transylvania.
21. The Danube near Kazan, between Servia and the military frontiers.
22. Orsova - on the borders of Turkey.
23. The Hercules Baths at Mehadia.
24. Iron Gate Pass between Hungary amd Transylvania - Wallachian Peasants.
25. Roman Temple - Demsus.
26. The Castle of Vayda Hunyad in Transylvania.
- Bobins II 435; Abbey I Travel 79; Martin Hardie 247.
- Hand coloured plates
- East European, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID