- LOTI, Pierre.
- Paris; Andre Plicque et Cie, 1928.
- Aziyade is a semi-autobiographical book, based on a diary Pierre Loti kept during his 3 months as a Naval Officer in both Greece and Turkey (Istanbul) in 1876. It tells the story of his illicit love affair with an 18 y.o. Circassian harem girl 'Aziyade'.
The book also describes Loti's 'friendship' with a Spanish manservant named Samuel. The book is illustrated by Henri Farge, a Parisian born painter, engraver and illustrator, who depicted figures and genre scenes in the main. Quarto with attractive coloured marble paper covers. Title in French and Arabic on front cover. Also all the book illustrations are reproduced in black and white in their own separate vanilla covered folder, loose in front of book. ("Suite des illustrations de Henri Farge pour Aziyade") This is number 21 of only 25 examples on Japanese paper with the additional illustrations inserted. Comes with its own matching cardboard three-sided box.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontis. Circular portrait of Aziyade.
2. Title page.
3. Half page illustration of executions in Istanbul.
4. Full page illustration of two Turkish women and a man.
5. End of chapter vignette illustration of a bowl.
6. Full page illustration of a Military parade in Istanbul.
7. Half page illustration of Istanbul from the Bosphorus.
8. Full page illustration of a pair of funeral coffins.
9. End of chapter vignette.
10. Half page illustration of Eyoub (?) in Istanbul.
11. Full page illustration of the Bosphorus and Istanbul in the background.
12. Full page illustration of men firing their rifles into the night sky in Istanbul.
13. Full page illustration of a corner cafe in Istanbul.
14. Full page illustration of two ladies being drawn in a carriage, escorted by two Ottoman men behind.
15. Full page illustration of a Harem.
16. End of chapter illustration of a fighting Ottoman.
17. Half page illustration of a headstone (?), surrounded by flowers.
18. Full page illustration of a man rowing passengers along the Bosphorus.
19. Full page illustration of a night watchman, patrolling the city streets of Istanbul.
20. Small end of chapter illustration of a woman under an umbrella.
21. Full age illustration aboard a boat on the Bosphorus leaving Istanbul.
22. Full page illustration of a man berating a fellow man in the street.
23. End of book illustration of two men lying on the ground with birds cycling overhead.
- Hand coloured plates
- France, Literature, Pochoir
- Stock ID